Pelhams Bowling Club – Coronavirus update.
Thursday 19th March 2020
We know that many of you may be experiencing the impact of the Coronavirus already or will be worried about what it could mean over the coming weeks. As always, our priority is taking care of our members.
All are encouraged to take on board the wealth of advice, from the authorities, concerning the practical measures we should be taking at present.
Having just received communication, from Bowls England, the committee would like to take this opportunity to update you on the prospects of Bowling through 2020.
Following the Emergency Board Meeting of Bowls England the following decisions were taken:
- All Celebration Matches scheduled up to 1st July 2020 are cancelled.
- The National Championships are cancelled in their entirety for 2020 (including all
- The National Competitions are cancelled in their entirety for 2020.
Further communication from Peter and Carrie Kay, of the B&DBA & B&DWBA, confirms the indefinite suspension of all leagues for 2020. The situation will be reviewed when circumstances permit.
As you may be aware, from various news reports, the potential economic impact of Covid-19 on individual businesses could be catastrophic. Local clubs and charities are especially vulnerable and, unfortunately, our Bowls Club is no exception.
The Bowls England statement thus goes on to suggest possible ways of minimising the financial impact on its membership:
Bowls England recognises that many clubs will be facing a difficult season ahead and there
may be a number of areas in which they may require support in 2020 – for example:
- Greens Maintenance (Bowls England intends to provide advice to clubs on the minimum maintenance that is required to maintain greens, so they are playable when we resume
- Club Loans
- Encouraging members to support their clubs financially by continuing to pay their annual
- Looking after members (We will encourage members to keep an eye out for each other
- Staying fit (Bowls England intends to produce a “Bowlers’ Workout” in order to keep members active and fit, during isolation or working from home, so we’re all ready to play
Our management committee are already investigating the potential reductions in operating and maintenance expenses. They are also considering the possibility of providing at least some bowling facilities this summer. The Club is, however, closed for the foreseeable future.
If anyone does need access into the clubhouse, please contact any of the management committee.
Due to the fluidity of the situation, the committee would appreciate your patience over the next few weeks until the situation becomes a little clearer and the financial situation of the club has been reviewed.
Best of health to you all and keep safe!
The Management Committee - Pelhams Bowl Club
Last year we had a full and very exciting club competition programme for all the results: Click
Welcome to new members